Thursday, April 1, 2010

New Series/Direction For Now

It's the end of the semester and effectively the end of my being a grad student with student loan monies to burn. That said, I gotta quit spending the money that I do have, so no more sculpture for the time being, unless/until I start scavenging for material from the city dump.
So I was bored last Friday and decided to waste some time by photographing my Re-ment collection. (For those of  you not in the know/not young women into teeny, tiny replicas, Re-ment is a Japanese toy company that  painstakingly makes replicas of food and other such items. ) I own a crap-tonne, which I do believe is the official unit of measurement for such useless items bought with too much disposible income.
Anyway, I then started to look at the amazing model creations of photographer James Casebere, who creates replicas of certain locales and photographs them in such a way that leaves the viewer unable to distinguish between what is real and what is miniature.  In facsimile way, I'm trying to achieve the same thing, but with the 1:6 scale Barbie-type items that I have.  Every time I set up a scene I become inspired to push the believability from being a scene of miniatures to an image which will give the viewer pause and wonder if what they are seeing is human-sized or otherwise.  I've only done a handful so far, but I find that I'm having an amusing time creating my own bedspreads and books and crap in order to combat that utterly-awful shiny Barbie feel that the store-bought pieces have.  Yes, I'm a dork, but I'm not the only one.

1 comment: