Sunday, April 24, 2011

Obligations vs. Art Creation

Years ago I daydreamed that it would be awesome if I only had to work part-time so that I could make art the rest of the time. The perfect job had to be high-paying enough to support the art-making endeavor and cover the basic monthly expenses too of course, but would also require only a minimum of my time. 
I received an MFA and sought an adjunct teaching path.  It worked.  I commandeered four days off a week with a budget of about $300/mo to blow on supplies. (Mind you, this usurps my down time and cancels hanging out with friends. Also, I don't waste money on booze.  I buy fabric and varnish.) 
Then, I relocated to my hometown.  It's a city where the rent is cheap and the teaching gigs are available. The door seemed to be open to do the thing that I want: be an artist.

SO HOW COME I NEVER HAVE ANY TIME TO MAKE ANY FRICKING ART? Four days a week off is not enough. I still only average 5-6 days in a month that is spent working on this solo show.  Tis not what I expected. Alas, there are still obligations of which to attend.  I could say the reason for it, but it is not a detail to be divulged.  You know, family "stuff".

Someone told me recently that most artists move away from the people they know and cut their family out of their lives as it's the only way to maintain autonomy.  But what do you do when you are a woman and a caretaker of loved ones?  It is a conundrum when people rely on you.

In a perfect world, one could move away from everything they know and love to make work in a self-styled vacuum in the name of art, but at what price?  Does the creation of art negate and excuse the selfish act of asceticism? Yes if it's good and no if it's not.  Good luck, then, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. first, congrats on the show!!
    its great news, keep us notified I would love to come down for the opening...

    second, work longer and harder, if you hacked it though all the classes and everything else, you can do this!

    ReplyDelete