Thursday, February 3, 2011

...When I Least Expected It.

 I was lying in bed last night after a day of making experiments from the usual suspects (fabric, plastic) and feeling agitated that my issues with proper presentation had not made any headway over the course of a mere six hours. Then I reminded myself that I was not in school anymore and time frames didn't matter.  I had all the time in the world to tinker around and figure things out. I felt very relieved.
So then today...
The most wonderful magic of magical things happened. The McColl Center, which will be hosting my residency in September, called up and made me an unprovoked offer that I couldn't refuse: a four-month long solo show in their biggest gallery space. (This was an upgrade from a previous offer of a month-long group show in another space.)  I don't know what I did to deserve such an honor. I've been keeping close tabs on other artists that have shown in the same space and they are not lightweights like Yours Truly.  I am nonplussed.
I have six months to pull out all the stops.  Last year I had a similar time line for preparing for my thesis show and god knows that I needed every minute. I have to do it again, this time with virtually no money and on a tremendous scale. Make or break time is here and I am beside myself. The responsibility and repercussions of both success and failure are MASSIVE. I might be shitting myself right now.  I hope I can deliver.

That which doesn't kill us, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment